top of page

What to Do if Injured at Work: Advice from a Personal Injury Lawyer

Shay + Associates Law Firm personal injury lawyer in Springfield and Decatur, Illinois

Workplace injuries can occur in any job setting. Damages vary widely from catastrophic loss of life or limb to milder pain and discomfort from a repetitive stress injury.

Regardless of your injury, you may have a claim for workers’ compensation. To get benefits, you will need to take some steps to file your workers’ compensation claim.

Check Coverage Limits

If you suffer an injury on the job, you want to make sure you get all the benefits you deserve. If possible, you should check with the human resources department to see if any restrictions require you to seek treatment from certain providers before getting medical assistance.

Get Medical Treatment

Whether your injury happens suddenly or occurs due to repetitive work activities over time, you will need to see a medical professional for a diagnosis. You will also need to have a doctor advise you regarding the proper course of treatment. You want to get all of the information in writing from the medical practitioner, including any instructions for follow-up care. Patients can usually access detailed visit notes by logging onto the portal used by their provider for online medical records.

Notify Your Employer

Under Illinois law, you must notify your employer of your accident or sustained damages. The law requires you to give your notice as soon as possible, but no later than 45 days from the incident leading to your trauma.

By following the proper steps, you can claim benefits for your workplace injury, including medical expenses, lost wages, and other damages.

Don't hesitate to reach out to Shay + Associates Law Firm if you require the expertise of a skilled personal injury lawyer in Springfield or Decatur, Illinois.

bottom of page