The motorists on U.S. Interstate 72 bring a constant flow of traffic through Springfield and Decatur. Along with the usual cars, SUVs, minivans and motorcycles, there are dozens of big-rig trucks and 18-wheelers, hauling freight across the country. Weighing several tons, these colossal vehicles must not be ignored.
Road safety remains crucial, but especially so when sharing a road with a big-rig truck. However, sometimes, accidents occur, abruptly changing the lives of the people involved. When a truck and car collide, the results can be catastrophic and fatal. Survivors of such accidents face lengthy rehabilitation and permanent disability. While the families of those who die face a lifetime of sadness and emptiness.
Negligence from any number of players
There are a number of factors that contribute to a truck accident. Any one of them on their own or in combination with another, can lead to tragedy. Here are some of them:
- Inexperienced drivers: Some may lack the training to maneuver these big rigs. The slightest mistake can lead to tragedy on the highway. Trucking companies are responsible for providing adequate training to drivers.
- Fatigue and drowsiness: Truck drivers often are under vast pressure to meet deadlines in hauling their freight. Their employer pushes them to get to their destination.
- Reckless truck drivers: Speeding and ignoring traffic laws are more common than you think.
- The use of alcohol and controlled substances: Impaired driving often is at the root of an accident. Some truckers rely on alcohol, speed, cocaine and marijuana while on the road.
- Defective parts on a truck: Manufacturers are responsible for providing a product that passes safety inspections. One slight defect can lead to catastrophe.
- Poor maintenance: Mechanics may have overlooked certain repairs or simply provided substandard work.
- An improperly loaded truck: Unbalanced loads can cause a trailer’s cargo to shift, leading to the truck overturning.
If you are an injury victim from a truck accident, you can pursue legal action against the negligent and responsible parties. An experienced personal injury attorney can provide the guidance and compassion that you may need.