Every week we see headlines about nursing home abuse and neglect throughout the nation. Some of us have personal stories of how family members were neglected or injured in a nursing home. A recent case was documented in an article about three Central Illinois nursing homes cited with violations and fined $25,000.00 each by the State of Illinois.
The article states that at least one resident in each facility required hospitalization as a result of preventable injuries or illnesses. These violations were classified by the state as Type A violations, which are the second most serious category of violation, one resulting in serious harm or death.
Type A injuries often result from falls, infections, or lack of timely medical care. When a serious injury like this happens to your loved ones, it is important to take the following steps:
- If immediate emergency services are required, call 911
- Document all evidence of the abuse or injury with photos, written notes, or witness accounts
- Advise the director of the nursing home in writing of the incident and your concerns
- File a complaint about the nursing home with the local health department and/or the Illinois Department of Professional and Financial Regulation
- If you feel it necessary, move your loved one to another location
- Don’t hesitate to contact an attorney to discuss the situation
If nursing home neglect or abuse results in serious injury, hospitalization, or death to a family member, please contact an attorney who specializes in nursing home neglect or personal injury claims. At Shay & Associates Law Firm we provide you with an expert and compassionate team to assist your family when the need arises.