PLEASE NOTE: Following the “shelter in place” order from Governor Pritzker regarding containment efforts for the COVID-19 virus, our physical office building will be closed. All of our attorneys and staff will be working remotely to continue moving your cases forward to the best of our ability. Please direct your emails to me at: [email protected] and I will forward them to the appropriate attorney or staff member to be handled. Additionally, I will be checking both offices for voice mail messages, it is our sincere goal to return telephone calls within 24 hours. Best wishes, Timothy Shay.
Shay & Associates

Get trusted advice from our personal injury team. CALL NOW.
Decatur: 217-619-8191 | Springfield: 217-481-9690

Illinois Wrongful Death Act
Timothy Shay

Under common law, a civil action for a wrongful death did not exist.  In response, Illinois enacted the Wrongful Death Act, thus allowing the survivors, i.e. spouse and/ or next of kin, a means to bring an action for damages based upon the wrongful act, neglect, or default that resulted in the decedent’s death.

This statue does not allow the next of kin to step in the shoes of the decedent to bring a cause of action in his place for his injuries had he not died.  Rather, the statute allows for a whole separate cause of action, by giving the survivors the opportunity and legal means to seek monetary damages to compensate them for the pecuniary loss that resulted from the decedent’s death.  In essence, the Wrongful Death Act is about the survivors, not the decedent.

It is important to remember that the Illinois Wrongful Death Act is just the vehicle that supplies the means for the cause of action, and that many further steps are required.  Shay & Associates has the knowledge and understanding of the law to help you deal with the complexity of a wrongful death case.

This weblog does not constitute legal advice, and no attorney-client relationship is intended to be established due to reading this weblog.  If you suffer from the above described injury, you should contact an attorney as soon as possible to ensure that your right to recovery is protected.