Katherine E. Perry
Katherine E. Perry
SENIOR ASSOCIATE ATTORNEY
Katherine Perry is Shay & Associates' Senior Associate, serving injured persons and their families in the Springfield and Decatur offices and throughout central Illinois. For over ten years, Katherine has provided client-centered representation in the areas of personal injury, workers' compensation, and medical malpractice.
Katherine's experience growing up in rural Illinois in a working-class family gives her a unique perspective when it comes to representing injured workers and lower and middle-class families. She enjoys representing a diverse clientele, including underserved and minority communities, minors, and individuals with disabilities. Katherine strives to understand her clients' needs and relate to them on a personal level, building authentic, trusting relationships based on care and respect. She provides an open and judgment-free environment where clients can discuss their legal matters authentically.
Katherine follows the philosophy that the client is the ultimate decision maker with regards to their case - her position is to facilitate and advise. She involves her clients in every step of litigation, providing all the necessary information along the way. She provides honest, unambiguous opinions regarding options, risks, and likely outcomes, but trusts her clients to make reasoned decisions regarding their cases.
Katherine has arbitrated and argued appeals in dozens of cases before the Illinois Workers' Compensation Commission. She has litigated numerous cases in circuit courts throughout Illinois, taking cases to jury trial in multiple jurisdictions. She has experience litigating appeals before the Fourth District Court of Appeals and the Illinois Supreme Court.
Although she spent her childhood in rural north-central Illinois, Katherine has called Springfield her home for the majority of her adult life, initially moving to the community when she began her undergraduate education at the University of Illinois-Springfield. After completing law school at DePaul University, she returned to Springfield, where she continues to live with her husband, son, and three cats. When not practicing law, Katherine enjoys reading, sewing, and taking adventures with her family.
- DePaul University College of Law, Chicago, Illinois
- J.D. - 2012
- University of Illinois-Springfield, Springfield, Illinois
- B.A. - 2009
- Honors: cum laude
- Illinois, 2012
- U.S. District Court Central District of Illinois, 2014
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court Central District of Illinois, 2018
Classes & Seminars
- Probate for Injury Attorneys, Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education, Presenter and Program Developer, September 23, 2022
- Individuals injured in motor vehicle accidents
- Individuals who have experienced medical malpractice
- Individuals injured in the workplace
- Illinois State Bar Association, Member, 2012 to Present
- Decatur Bar Association, Member, 2012 to Present
- Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, Member, 2012 to Present
- DePaul University Journal of Women, Gender and the Law, Member, 2010 to 2012
Current Employment Position
- Senior Associate Attorney